Monday 11 April 2011

Sewing again

Well, Day One of the 3-week Easter break went very well. My mum took the 5-year-old off for the day and baby Phoebe decided on a nice long three hour sleep instead of her usual half hour power nap.  So I used the opportunity to crack on with a little sewing project.  It's been a while since I have sewed properly. My sewing lately revolves around stitching in name tags, performing surgery on soft toys etc.  Today though I made my return to the sewing machine at last...


My mum asked if I would make her a bag to give to her friend for her 70th birthday and this is what I came up with.  The bottom is remnant suit fabric, the floral fabric is an old Laura Ashley sample, and the lining is organic cotton.


What I like about these bags is that they are mostly one offs.  As I make them mainly from cuts of fabric, rather then anything I have a massive supply of, I rarely make any two the same. 


I enjoyed sewing again, though it reminded me how time consuming it is.  So much equipment required in comparison to crochet!  So, until we have a bigger house with a room where I can leave my sewing machine out and my WIPs laying around, sewing will have to be an ocassional treat. 

Now do excuse me, I have to go and stitch name tags into some school summer dresses...  :)

4 comments:

  1. I like it! I love how you used the bits and pieces to make the whole. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fab!! Now back to those name tags! Hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ali - That is a beautiful bag - I love the print on that Laura Ashley fabric.
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely- Well done you x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so please drop me a note :)