Thursday 15 September 2011

A summer in Kent

Hello!!

My laptop and I are very nearly ready to part ways. After 7 years (how long is that in laptop years? 100?) it is now coming to a spluttering halt. I am going to need to fork out some cash this month to get a new one but until I get paid that just isn't an option.

Well I am sad to tell you that I am back at work after ten months off on maternity leave. But I am happy to tell you that the smiling person with the two beautiful girls below is Me!

Phoebe, Me, Lillia & the Best Tree in the World Ever! 

We had a wonderful summer break and I thoroughly enjoyed the last few weeks of being a stay-at-home mum. I have very mixed feelings about my return to work. I work four days a week, three of which I work in an office in London and on those days I leave so early in the morning my girls aren't even awake and I am home with half an hour to spare before bedtime. It's not the life I had planned. But more on that another time. I have so much to share! So many crafty projects, crocheted loveliness, navel gazing and lots of other things.

Today I thought I'd start with a mammoth post to share with you our wonderful summer break down by the coast near Dover in Kent. The photo above was taken at Goodnestone Park, a real surprise of a place where we spent a wonderful day. The tree we are on is quite possibly the most wonderful tree I have ever come across, I mean seriously, look at it...

Best Tree in the World Ever! 

Best Tree in the World Ever!

I love big old trees and we stayed playing around and on it for quite some time before continuing our adventures around the grounds. Goodnestone Park has a big grand old house and the most gorgeous walled garden, one day I would love to live in a house with a walled garden, though perhaps on a slightly smaller scale :)

 Goodnestone Park, Kent, UK

Walled Garden at Goodnestone Park 

Walled Garden at Goodnestone Park 

Walled Garden at Goodnestone Park 

Walled Garden at Goodnestone Park 

Walled Garden at Goodnestone Park

When we were tired of walking around it was time for a spot of tea and cake (of course)...

Goodnestone Park, Kent, UK 

I was delighted to find an array of mismatched china teacups lined up alongside the cakes, as well as other cute little country style details...

Goodnestone Park, Kent, UK 

Goodnestone Park, Kent, UK 

Goodnestone Park, Kent, UK

It was one of those days where you decide last minute to go somewhere and it turns out to be a gem.

We stayed in a cottage on an arable farm in Kent, a beautiful location with loads of walks right outside the front door. Lillia used to hate walking and I don't think she's the world's biggest fan now to be honest, but she did enjoy investigating and finding big lumps of chalk to take home and use on her chalkboard.

Our cottage 

The farm  

A walk around the farm

Meeting the local residents...

 Lillia meeting the local residents

Our neighbours...

 A home for ducks

We visited quite a few award winning vineyards whilst on holiday. I love my wine as you know and I really love good English wine - Chapel Down and Biddenden being among my favourite producers. We've been for lunch at Elham Valley Vineyard a few times too, which is a lovely place to visit. Though my favourite English wine of the moment is definitely from Barnsole Vineyard in Kent, well worth popping down there and buying a case or two of their award-winning tipple.

Handmade masks at Elham Valley Vineyard...

Masks at Elham Valley Vineyard 

One of my favourite day trips was when we took the mini steam railway from Hythe to Dungeness. If you have never heard of Dungeness it is one of the largest areas of shingle in the world, it's on the coast of Kent and is home to a large nucleur power station...as well as many very rare varieties of plants and insects I believe. If you haven't been, go. Seriously, it's the strangest place you will ever visit.

Dungeness - the weirdest (but wonderful!) place on Earth 

Dungeness - the weirdest (but wonderful!) place on Earth 

Dungeness - the weirdest (but wonderful!) place on Earth 

Dungeness - the weirdest (but wonderful!) place on Earth 

Dungeness - the weirdest (but wonderful!) place on Earth 

Dungeness Lighthouse 

Steam train to Dungeness

On our travels around the county we also spend a glorious few hours on the beach at Dymchurch (aptly titled "Children's Paradise) where Lillia built this rather amazing creation...

Sandcastle masterpiece 

But by far one of my favourite places to visit in Kent is Port Lympne animal park in Lympne. It is set in endless beautiful grounds overlooking the edge of Kent and out to sea. Every time I go there I enjoy it and it always seems to be sunny, granted £8 for 3 ice-creams nearly made me faint, but you can't fault it otherwise :)

The view from Port Lympne out to sea...

The view from Port Lympne out across the Kent countryside to the sea 

View from Port Lympne out across the Kent countryside to the sea 

Monkeys...

 Monkeys at Port Lympne

On safari...

 Giraffe on safari at Port Lympne

So it has been quite a summer, and to be honest even if my laptop had survived I probably wouldn't have had time for much blogging of any kind until now anyway. And now I am back at work my time is more precious than ever, but the call of blogging is too strong to resist!

I hope you've enjoyed my photo tour of Kent, see you very soon :)

Windmill, Kent, UK

5 comments:

  1. Lovely photos! Looks as though you had a wonderful summer break :) So nice to see you and your girlies so happy. Ele x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful photo of you and your girls. So glad to see you smiling! I'm sure the return to work is a challenge. Good luck, and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ele and Gretchen! We had such a lovely time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful way to top off summer and maternity leave! Looks like you had a lovely time in Kent! Hope the transition back to working is going as smoothly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Silly me, you LIVE in Kent. I mean to say "a lovely time by the sea". ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so please drop me a note :)