Saturday 17 September 2011

I'm a mei tai convert!

You may remember that I finally finished my mei tai baby sling back in July and was mightily pleased with the result. It was Gretchen (who writes the June at Noon blog) that first floated the idea of the mei tai in my direction but I wasn't convinced I possessed the sewing know-how to make one. Then the mum of one of Lillia's school friends showed me the mei tai she had made to carry her 4-year-old during last year's snow fall, she showed me just how simple they were and I decided I might have a go after all. And now me and my mei tai are inseperable. It gets slung in the baby bag as one of the essentials - nappies, wipes, drink, sling... During the summer it really came into its own and I became a fully fledged baby carrier!

Here I am at Elham Valley Vineyard carrying a sleeping Phoebe in her mei tai and a tired Lillia...

Mai tei making it possible to hold a sleeping baby & tired 5-year-old


Waiting for the miniature steam train to Dungeness...

Waiting for the steam train


Soaking up the sunshine on the beach at Folkstone...

Folkstone (mei tai in action!)


After a day walking around Port Lympne animal park it was ideal for Lillia and her aching feet, now that's how you give a piggy back!

Mei tai being used by a 5-year-old with tired feet :)


Mei tai on the "Monkey Trail"...

Mei tai and the Monkey Trail at Port Lympne


Mr Snipsnaphappy is a convert too...

Hubby with our two girls :)


And lastly, and perhaps most importantly, my mai tei frees up my hands for holding my wine glass...you can't ask for more than that!

The mei tai!

How did I survive before? Even popping to the supermarket I quickly pop Phoebe in her mei tai, it's quicker than getting the pushchair out of the boot and she just loves it. I have two more of these to make for my sister-in-law and one of my best mates so there will soon be more converts I am sure. If you fancy making one yourself the links to the tutorials I used are in my previous post here.

Ali
x

2 comments:

  1. Yay for mei tais! You wear it well. It looks like you need a second mei tai for the Mister, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved carrying me kids in a sling. Even when quite big I put them on my back. Mine was a large piece of fabric that wound round and round a bit like a scarf round the tummy. Some days I would wear it all day and just keep popping the baby in and out. Yours looks good. They are just so handy

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so please drop me a note :)