Sunday 21 December 2008

Day One: The Plan

I lead a hectic life, rather like most women my age and in a similar situation to my own.

I work four days a week in London as a PA for a homeless charity. The hours I don't spend in the office and commuting I spend being the best mummy I can be to my gorgeous two-year-old girl. I am wife to the world's most patient man (though don't tell him I said that) and I try very hard to prevent the house from becoming too dusty and the laundary from sprialling out of control.

I have a good life, I am lucky to have a wonderful family and a cosy home. But it isn't all plain sailing. As I write this we are in the midst of a recession here in the UK. Money is tight, we are paying off debts and the mortgage from the purchase and renovation of our house last year. I have suffered from ulcerative colitis (UC) since I was 19, it has got more severe over the years and I have been hospitalised twice in the last four years. The last year has been particularly difficult; my father was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease at the end of November 2007, I was hospitalised with a severe attack of UC in January 2008, then in March my husband of five years was diagnosed with UC as well. Work and parenthood is tiring at the best of times but throw some auto-immune disease in there too and you've got the formula for two extremely knackered parents.

Aside from playing and laughing with my little girl, and long hot baths, I find that being creative is my best form of escapism and relaxation. I am happiest when I am occupied with something I am creating*. So I reasoned that if I could do one creative thing every day then surely life could only be a little bit happier every day. If I promise myself to do something creative every day, then I am making a commitment to allowing myself to relax a little every day. Nothing wrong with a bit of self-improvement either.

So this blog will be about my creative world for the next year, whatever it may bring. For one year, from today, I start now**. And in case you were wondering: today I created a blog. Welcome to snipsnaphappy's world.


* Well lets face it I'm happiest when I am creating with a cup of tea and eating some form of chocolate based food.

** I much prefer a random day in December than on dull 1st January.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so please drop me a note :)