Saturday 6 March 2010

My first Toy Society experience

Today Lillia and I took Julia, one of my handmade matryoshka dolls, to Bluewater in Kent for our first Toy Society drop!

 I first came across the Toy Society back in October last year.  The idea is that you make or buy a toy, then package it up and leave it in a public place for somebody to find.  You put a note in with the toy so that the finder knows what is going on.  I can imagine how I would feel if I found one, it would restore my faith in human nature, so I have wanted to do this for a long time but time just always seems against me.  Last night though I packaged up Julia, cut out the note to go with her, popped her in a bag and got her all ready for her journey out into the world.

Then this morning hubby, Lillia and I drove to Bluewater for a spot of shopping and while we were there we found just the right spot.  I had been thinking of leaving her in the baby change area but then we came across a family toilet cubicle, one of those big enough to house both parents, buggies, bears and screaming children.


And it was there that we left Julia. 


You might notice that I have altered her mouth slightly.  She was looking far too stern before so I made her look a little more  friendly.

I do hope she has found a good home!

9 comments:

  1. That's so cool, and a great drop off spot, too! It's like a social experiment. It would be neat to be able to see people's reactions to the package. Interest, suspicion, amusement. I wonder if she was taken right away, or if she got passed over a few times before the "right" person found her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! And it was the perfect place to leave her. I'm sure the one who finds her will give her the perfect home and love her!

    Do you leave your info too so they know where she came from or is it anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so much fun looking for just the right place to leave something : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea and what a great place to do it. Bluewater is always so busy and children get ratty waiting for their mums! I'm sure this made some small persons day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness! I have never heard of this but it's an incredible idea! wow- you chose a great place as well. This has made me happy from the inside out just reading about it! Thanks for making my Monday! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful idea....really me made me smile......do hope the finder appreciates it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is such a sweet idea Id so love to find a little hand made toy somewhere, I hope who ever finds it treasures it, they'll be going back to the same spot over and over on the lookout for more!

    thanks for your lovely comment about my neighbour hopefully things will improve, they already have a bit so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sooo want to do one of these Toy Drops! I'm still just trying to "get" to my sewing machine though....but soon, Oh so soon! Love your blog and I'm now a follower! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so please drop me a note :)