Saturday 24 October 2009

Handmade bags and pink crochet

Autumn has always been my favourite season. I think I must have been some kind of hibernating creature in a former life, I just love the excuse to retreat into the cosy confines of my little house and stay there with a hot drink.

I love the colours too - the reds and greens, golds, purples, orange, and yes even the browns.

This is the bag I just made for my mum, she wanted a bag she could use to put gifts in that would also be nice enough to form part of the gift...


The floral print is cut from old curtain fabric. The rest is organic cotton, which I love for its softness and kindness to the environment.

This is the first bag pattern I came up with all by myself, though it's so simple it could hardly even be called a pattern - more some rectangles sewed together! I do love my handles though, I do my handles like this for nearly every bag I make...


I use iron-on interfacing to make them sturdy. Then I sandwich one of the fabrics into the other, top stitch them together and voila!

And of course the autumnal theme continues to dominate the ever multiplying plum and cream granny squares destined for a big blanket...


Though as much as I love the muted shades of the season I do of course crave the odd vibrant splash of colour, and with a pink-loving-three-year-old-mini-fairy-glitter-princess in residence it is hard to avoid the requests for things to be made in varying shades of pink...


And so there is another granny-square blanket in progress too...

This one will be made of a variety of sizes of granny-squares...

I am thoroughly enjoying crochet, it's easy and fast to do and looks impressive when it's done, plus it's ideal for doing whilst watching Strictly Come Dancing and sipping a glass of wine indoors where it's warm and cosy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers so please drop me a note :)