Friday 31 July 2009

Vintage sewing and embroidery bits

Working in the City has a lot of disadvantages (commuting, train delays, terrorism, numpties etc) but one advantage is that I can walk to Spitalfields Market in my lunch hour.

Thursdays at Spitalfields is antiques day and this month I decided to treat myself.

First off I bought a vintage watch face...
Vintage watch face
It reminds me of my great granny's pocket watch, I love the sparkle. I have plans for this watch face - both mosaic and sewing related - fortunately the choice will not be a torturous one as there are loads more on the same stall so I can always go back for more.

Next up - buttons!

1960s blue button...
1960s button

Pink sparkly buttons...
vintage buttons
Actually these are clear but they have pink in the inside of the holes which shines through the clear bits. They are really very cool.

Pearly buttons...
vintage pearly buttons
On a strange silver foil covered card backing!

Next I found a 1930s embroidery pattern booklet, a freebie with the magazine "Woman's Friend"...
Embroidery transfers from 1930s
There really is not enough use of the word "undies" in the world anymore, don't you think? This little booklet is very cool, can't believe it is almost 80 years old. Some of the transfers have been cut out and used of course but the remaining designs are really good...

Embroidery transfers from 1930s

Embroidery transfers from 1930s

Embroidery transfers from 1930s

Embroidery transfers from 1930s

Embroidery transfers from 1930s

Embroidery transfers from 1930s

Embroidery transfers from 1930s

Embroidery transfers from 1930s

Embroidery transfers from 1930s

I am not going to cut the transfers out, no it's too old and lovely for that. So I have photocopied them and I will create my own transfers from the copy (I say that like I know what I am doing..!) I have saved the copies as a PDF so if anybody would like me to email them a copy of all these designs just drop me a comment or email and I will send them to you.

I also found a 1940s Needlecraft booklet full of great and somewhat old-fashioned design ideas...

Needlecraft booklet from 1940s

An "all purpose" sweater anyone?
Needlecraft booklet from 1940s

Or how about a nice cockeral egg cosy?
Needlecraft booklet from 1940s

Amongst the wartime charm there are some really interesting embroidery ideas which I would love to have the skill to try...

Needlecraft booklet from 1940s

Needlecraft booklet from 1940s

Needlecraft booklet from 1940s

Needlecraft booklet from 1940s

Needlecraft booklet from 1940s

I love the flowers in the background of this one...
Needlecraft booklet from 1940s

Needlecraft booklet from 1940s

This is the advert on the back...
Needlecraft booklet from 1940s

So as you can see I did rather well in my lunch hour yesterday!

Today I have a day off and I have taken over my house with sewing mess. I am making bags, and I have a rather exciting addition to add to them today, more or that over the weekend!

(I have used a different method of posting photos in this entry so please let me know if you have any problems viewing or uploading any of it! Thanks!)

2 comments:

  1. Great finds!

    Also, what a coindicence: I was in a store today, and in walked a girl wearing a shirt that said "Spitalfield" on it. I would never have had a clue what that meant if I hadn't read your post. Strange. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh. Meant "coincidence." Am very tired.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so please drop me a note :)