Monday 27 July 2009

Day 219: Bags

I don't know why I am obsessed with making bags. Perhaps for the same reasons I am obsessed with buying them.

During my week of creativity last week I made two bags. The first with my favoured grey ikea fabric and upcycled vintage duvet. I really love the soft washed out look of these two fabrics together...


I used the same pattern as for my previous pleated bag so of course it is reversible...


It came out well and I was pleased that I made the whole thing without once referring to the pattern, something must be sticking in that busy mind of mine!

Secondly, I made a mustard coloured bag using some upcycled cushion covers I found in a charity shop in Shoreditch and some paisley brown fabric (splendid in its granny-ness!) from Hobbycraft.

I am very hard to please, especially when it comes to pleasing myself, but I have to say I am rather pleased with how this one came out...

(Er...please ignore general clutter and background mess in above photo!)

I appliqued (at least I think that's what I did, applique remains a total mystery to me..) some "bubbles" of the lining fabric onto the outside...

And I somehow managed to achieve my original aim of having a split in the sides up to the handles...

Then I added a strip of the lining fabric inside the thin-ish handles so that they matched nicely...


Ta da! Very pleased. I have been using it today - I took it on the train, through the city and into work, out at lunchtime and fiddled about with it in the office in the guise of retreiving pens/books/phones etc.

Alas, nobody suddenly dropped everything they were doing to yell, "My goodness but where did you get that fabulous bag!?"
So I couldn't then say "Yah, I made it myself actually.." and await the admiration.

Never mind, it's still a fabulous bag ;)

2 comments:

  1. They are both fabulous bags! I really love the mustard color and the shape of the second bag - it looks like it is a nice size too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Yes, the mustard bag is perfect for carrying around my daily paraphenalia!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so please drop me a note :)